Last night saw the next stage of the Federal Governments economic relief package – JobKeeper Payment.
In short eligible employers will be able to claim a fortnightly payment of $1,500 per eligible employee from 30 March 2020, for a maximum period of 6 months.
Eligible Employers are those where:
- their business has a turnover of less than $1 billion and their turnover will be reduced by more than 30 per cent relative to a comparable period a year ago (of at least a month).
For more information for employers follow this link.
Eligible employees are employees who:
- are currently employed by the eligible employer (or were employed by the employer at 1st March 2020 but have since been stood down);
- are full-time, part-time, or long-term casuals (a casual employed on a regular basis for longer than 12 months as at 1 March 2020);
- are at least 16 years of age;
- are an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, a Protected Special Category Visa Holder, a non-protected Special Category Visa Holder who has been residing continually in Australia for 10 years or more, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) Visa Holder; and
- are not in receipt of a JobKeeper Payment from another employer.
Employers should register at https://www.ato.gov.au/Job-keeper-payment/
You will receive a notification from your employer, that you’re receiving the JobKeeper Payment.
What do you need to do as an employee?
If you’re an Australian citizen and only have one employer, then you don’t need to do anything.
If not…read on!
Employees in the following circumstances will have additional obligations.
• Employees that have multiple employers must notify the employer that is their primary employer.
• Employees that are not Australian citizens must notify their employer of their visa status, to allow
their employer to determine if they are an eligible employee.
• Employees that are currently in receipt of an income support payment should advise Services
Australia of their change in circumstances online at my.gov.au or by telephone.
For more information for employees follow this link.
As always, feel free to give us a call for any further clarification or if you have any questions.