Here at Hockley Giblin & Co, we don’t recommend that you link your myGov account to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO)
Linking the ATO to your myGov account could result in the following consequences:
- It will be entirely up to you to keep up to date with ATO correspondence
- You will become solely responsible for notifying us (your accountant) if you have any ATO concerns
- You must check your myGov account regularly for any ATO communication
- If you forget to check your account and miss an overdue debt penalty, they will hold you 100% accountable – and in some cases, even threaten legal action.
We’ve already seen a few cases of some clients experiencing this problem; receiving accelerated ATO fines and pending legal action due to not checking their myGov account properly.
If you’re still not sure what you need to do, give us a call on (02) 8814 5677.
1. If you don’t have a myGov account:
Great! You don’t need one (at this stage, anyway).
2. If you do already have a myGov account or are planning to set one up:
DO NOT LINK THE “ATO” AS A SERVICE
3. If you have a myGov account and still want to link the ATO as a Service
- You must check your account “Inbox” very regularly to action any urgent correspondence
- It may also be worth changing your myGov account settings so that any “Inbox Notifications” are sent to your mobile as a text – not to your email.
- The Downside: We may not be able to advise or fix ATO related concerns, unpaid fines or penalties that come through to your myGov account.
The solution is simple – Leave the ATO to us.
This way, we can continue to receive, control and take care of your ATO correspondence; notifying you immediately for anything urgent.
We make sure that everything related to your Tax compliance is taken care of and simple. We want to make Tax as stress-free as possible – without our clients having to worry about concerns like this.